[nagdu] Nfb centers and guide dogs

Meghan Whalen meghan at n-republic.net
Sun Nov 2 21:49:39 UTC 2008

I understand where everyone is coming from in some ways, but, if you only
want certain training, then you go somewhere where you can get that specific
training.  If you go to college, or you go to job training, you don't get to
pick and choose what you would like to do.  These programs offer cane
travel.  You sign up knowing that.  If it was listed as mobility training,
there would be reason for upset, but it is listed as white cane training.  I
love my dog, but she is not a white cane, therefore, if I signed up
somewhere that offered white cane training, I would not expect that I would
get to work with her during said training.  These centers are not a personal
attack on dog users.  It is not insulting that they do not teach dog travel.
If I signed up to go to Leader Dog, I would not expect that they would train
me in Cane Skills, I would go in expecting to get training using a dog as my
mobility aid.

That said, I'm not sure that I would go to an NFB center while I had a dog,
because I agree it's really not fare on the dog.  Likewise, I would not
attend training with a dog if I knew I was going to return home and use my
white cane most of the time.

Just my thoughts,
Meghan