[nagdu] does anyone know why?

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Fri Nov 7 13:49:37 UTC 2008

Hi there.  The only thing I can think of is company liability.
When I was training with my dog, from Fidelco, I asked them where
the dogs are supposed to be locted in the car.  I have many
friends with dogs from the Seeing Eye and so I thought they would
be located in the same place.  In front by my feet.  Fidelco told
me that that it would be better to put them on the floor in the
back, due to the air bags in the front.  I had never thought of
that.  My dog, whether in cabs or cars rides in  back on the
floor.

Hope and Beignet

Users"<nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 08:08:41 -0500
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] does anyone know why?

>Marsha,
>    To the best of my knowledge, there are no DOT regulations
regarding
>these issues; however, there may be company policies.  The ADA
requires
>businesses to "modify policies, practices, and procedures" to
allow people
>with disabilities to be accompanied by their service animals.
Therefore, if
>the front seat and/or the floorboard is the best place for the
service
>animal and there is a policy regarding this, the policy may need
to be
>modified.  Craig Borne is an attorney and guide dog user in the
Baltimore
>area.  I believe he also has something to do with transportation.
Perhaps he
>would be willing to help out with this question.

>fraternally,
>Marion

Users'"
><nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 11:55 AM
>Subject: [nagdu] does anyone know why?

>>I am signed up here in the Baltimore area for the paratransit
service, when
>> I have been picked up in a car, they will not allow myself or my
"Seeing
>> Eye" dog to ride in the front seat.  In the case of last week, a
car
>> arrived
>> with two other passengers and I was forced to cram both me and
my dog plus
>> another passenger in the back of a car, it was very
uncomfortable.  Well I
>> did not want to be "no showed" so I took the ride.  If I had
been allowed,
>> and this is not the first time this has happened, there would
have been
>> plenty of room in the front seat with me and my dog, with the
dog in the
>> floor board, and me comfortable.  But they refuse to allow this.
Is there
>> any
>> legal standing on this? I am filing a complaint with the MDLC
about
>> theparatransit here, for this and a few other reasons.  Am I
wrong in
>> thinking that they should allow this? I like being picked up in
a car
>> better, but there can not be two other passengers.  Another
policy that I
>> do
>> not understand, is that when picked up in a cab, a regular
normal cab, I
>> am
>> forced to have the dog on the seat not on the floor board.  Is
anyone
>> familiar with this? These are strange things to me, and in some
cases has
>> caused some issues when traveling with someone because there is
not enough
>> room.  Of course no one will admit it but I have been passed up
several
>> times
>> by cabs because of me and my dog, I did not think that this
still
>> happened,
>> and especially in a city with the headquarters of the NFB in it,
but it
>> does.
>> Just looking for some feed back on this, thanks!
>> Marsha Lindsey

>> NAGDU Board member

>> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of
virus