[nagdu] quiet cars now sounding off!

Stepper stepper12 at cableone.net
Fri Nov 21 01:36:10 UTC 2008

Hello Creg.
Thank you for the article.
Stepper
----- Original Message -----
From: <craig.borne at dot.gov>
To: <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:14 AM
Subject: Re: [nagdu] quiet cars now sounding off!

Lotus Makes Hybrids Sound Like Real Cars

By Stuart Schwartzapfel
Email
August 06, 2008 | 3:06:57 PMCategories:
Electric Vehicles,
Hybrids,
Safety

Prius_bike

Hybrids are the greatest. They pollute less and consume less than regular
cars and save you boatloads of money at the pump. But activists and
legislators
consider them silent killers that prey on blind people who never hear 'em
coming.

Full Hybrids
 like the ubiquitous Toyota Prius run only on electricity at low speeds,
emitting no more than a whine around town. That's great for lowering
noise-vibration harshness
 and making drivers feel like George Jetson, but it's a big problem for the
blind -- and pedestrians, and cyclists, and people who simply don't pay
attention
-- who rely on the familiar rumble of internal combustion to know what's
coming down the pike.

The engineers at Lotus, a company
way into green
 these days, have a solution.

Lotus took a bone-stock Prius and outfitted it with a waterproof speaker
near the radiator that blares simulated yet realistic engine sounds to let
pedestrians
-- those who don't have earbuds crammed into their ears, anyway -- know to
watch out. "Our advanced external sound synthesis technology increases
pedestrian
safety, while retaining the car's environmental benefits," says Mike
Kimberley, CEO of Group Lotus.

The system uses a speed sensor on the accelerator to control the vroom-vroom
sound. You only hear it as the car approaches, and it cuts out entirely when
the car's engine takes over at higher speeds. It's all automated and Lotus
says the driver hears almost nothing.

Considering all of the emerging vehicle technology out there, Lotus could
have sunk its R&D dollars into just about anything. We've gotta ask what
prompted
this particular investment -- which by the way, comes on the heels of a
similar gadget
created by two Stanford University students
. It's not as if there's been a lot of Priuses (
Priora
?) mowing down the blind.

Maybe it's because lawmakers decided in April that the threat of just such
an epidemic is so great
Something Must Be Done
. If the legislation pending before Congress passes, the Transportation
Department will spend two years studying the problem before developing
safety standards.
Automakers would have two years after that to comply, giving Lotus a big
market for its product.

"We hope that legislators introduce minimum noise requirements for vehicles
to encourage the adoption of technologies, such as ours, which will
ultimately
increase pedestrian safety," Kimberley says.

Lotus is collaborating with the
Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents
 and the
Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
 to develop their system. We want ours to sound like the Cosworth engine in
the
Lotus 49.

Craig Borne
NHTSA/DOT