[nagdu] service vs therapy dog

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sun Nov 23 08:06:16 UTC 2008

Hi, Bunny,

Your article is very timely.  Just the other day when I was at a shopping
center, I was accausted by a woman who insisted that my guide *had* to have
a patch on her chest in order to be allowed into businesses.  (And this was
when I was just walking down the public sidewalk, not going into any store
at all!)  The woman kept repeating that she had a golden retriever that is a
therapy dog, and she knew that *all* therapy dogs must have the patch on
their chests in order to go into places.

I tried to tell her that therapy dogs and service animals are not the same
thing, and that no patch was required for a service animal for a person who
has a disability.  But I don't think she got the point.

She also wanted to know what program trained my guide, and she was not very
pleased when I told her that my guide was privately trained.

I think the therapy dog training programs should make the article you posted
required reading for all prospective therapy dog handlers, and they should
go further and point out the differences in law and regulation which result
from the difference in definition between therapy and service animals.  And
then the prospective therapy dog handlers should be made to take and pass a
test on the material before they can get their patch or certificate or
whatever.

Honestly, this woman was more annoying than any PETA member!  I would love
to send her this article, but, unfortunately, I don't know her name or
address.

Best,
Ann