[nagdu] service vs therapy dogs and welcome

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Wed Nov 26 22:41:43 UTC 2008

Hi Mardi,
I liked the part about "You don't look blind...".  That one had me stumped
for years and years.  I didn't know what people meant by the remark.  I
thoought it was people denying that I was blind. Well, a sighted friend
finally explained the basis of the remark to me.  He said that people look
at a blind person and see the blindness.  People have this view that blind
people are people who rock, jam their fingers or fist into their eye.  They
walk with a stiff-leggeed gait and don't look at people who are talking to
them.  In other words, the crappy stereotypes people think of when you say,
"blind person".

Marti, you used to be a sighted person.  Think back on your sighted days
long before you ever met a blind person. What did your mind conjure up? Now,
me - I've always been visually impaired and I can't and never was able to
see people's faces and the expressions on them.  I had no clue about "look
blind" sinse I've spent a lifetime around blind people.

My friend told me that when someone tells me that I don't "look blind" I
need to take it as a compliment.  The statement really says that you look
normal - like a SIGHTED person!  You and I do not have the so-called "blind
mannerisms" that so many sheltered congenitally blind people display.  You
learned how to be as a sighted child - what was socially acceptable. As a
child, I was taught by my parents how to be in public and that people can
see what I do.  So, you and I behave in a normal socially acceptable manner.
We look at people who speak to us.  We don't poke our eyes with our fingers
or fists.  Our eyes may look pretty normal - well - mine wiggle with
nystagmus.  We rock only to music or while seated in a rocking chair.

I don't remember if you are totally blind or are partially sighted.  Being
in a wheelchair, I can see how people think your guide is a wheelchair
service dog.  There aren't too many of you out there. I know several
visually impaired wheelchair users but they see too much to use a guide dog
and they don't have a service dog, either.

I know it's annoying when people don't know.  People think you are either
fully sighted - "Oh, you must be faking it!" or you are totally blind.
People still don't seem to grasp the idea of all kinds of partial vision in
between. I tell them that I have enough vision to be dangerous.  We then
have a laugh.

Hope that helps!  Thank God we are normal people who can give the public a
good impression of who blind people are.

Take care and Happy Holidays!

Linda and Landon