[nagdu] Traveling in New York

Ted Shelly tshelly at optonline.net
Fri Nov 28 18:13:59 UTC 2008

Michael,

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who seems to spend a significant
amount of money on buying canes.  I have a whole drawer-full of broken ones
that I keep thinking to go through and make one or two whole ones.

Most people I ask for directions do OK, but I have certainly been sent the
wrong way on occasion.

Funny thing is, I often get asked for directions myself.  I think they must
figure that a blind guy must really know the territory.  A few weeks ago I
was standing on a corner getting ready to cross 18th Street and a woman
asked me where 18th Street was.  I paused for a second and said "Uh, it's
right here".  "Oh, no", she replies, "I meant where is Broadway?"  I pointed
her in the right direction and went on my way.

Sometimes I think I should be a tour guide.

All the best,

Ted