[nagdu] Traveling in New York

Jeffrey Schwartz sidney.schwartz at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 30 19:23:33 UTC 2008

There is also a guide dog school in Westchester county, N.Y.  You could
practically walk there.  The name eludes me, but I've heard only good things
about them.  It's something like Leader Dogs for the Blind.  There are only
about 15 accredited schools in the country.  I don't understand why more
folks don't use them.  A young man I work with called me on Friday
afternoon.  He is recently separated from his wife and young son.  His dog,
about 5, has been unwell for several weeks.  The local vet couldn't diagnose
the problem.  He sleeps on my patient's bed.  Tues or Weds night he awoke to
find his dog having difficulty breathing.  He rushed him to an emergency
hospital, open all night, and as you are anticipating the worst happened.
He was sobbing on the phone, and I had tears in my eyes.  I can't stop
thinking about him. I've lost four, and it's like losing a good friend or
loved one.