[nagdu] voting nightmare

Stepper stepper12 at cableone.net
Thu Oct 23 05:24:38 UTC 2008

Hello listers.
My understanding is that at times we can write about blindness issues having nothing to do with guide dogs. so with that understanding I hope this is correct, here goes.

This is Stepper.

Two days ago on the 20th I went to vote early.
My wife Lynda who is sighted had a ballad sent to the house for her.
However, I feel that as a blind person that helped with the fight to make it possible for the blind and visually impaired and other disabilities to vote using the Auto Mark Voting Machine at a cost for our state of Idaho$5000 each, and there's 960 machines through out the state, at a total cost of $4800000.
Well, that's a big deal! So I believe its very important to show the public and the law makers that we raised hell for the right to vote, and here we are in the flesh!

That's my stump speech.

We get to the voting place, and we are directed to the lady that checks to see if your on the voting rolls. So far so good.
That is where the good left, and the bad and the ugly took over.
After the woman found my name she refused to hand me the paper that had to be signed in two places.
But she refused to talk to me at all. She kept trying to talk around me, to my wife Lynda. Even when Lynda backed up a few steps.
I put my hand up palm outward  the world wide sign for "STOP!" not her. She kept trying to talk to my wife.
There were people backing up behind us. So finally, the lady slid the paper over, and I picked it up, and moved down the table. With Lynda's assistance I signed the document in the two places needed.
I than moved to my right a couple steps, where I was checked off as being there. I then moved a little more to my right where the lady was to hand me my "Secret Ballad."
I started to reach out so she could place it in my hand.
All of a sudden,  someone  grasps me by my left wrist, turning me halfway around, and clamping my left arm under there right arm. Then this person, takes off dragging me as it were away from the table.
At the same time I hear a rustling of a large envelope keeping pace with us.
I plant both my feet, and said, "What the hell are you doing? Do you have my "Secret Ballad?" "Give me my ballad now!"
What's the matter with you?" "And stop dragging me!"
This person turned  out to be a man, a larger man then I am, and I am 6 feet tall, and weigh 190 pounds.
He said, "I was going to carry your "Ballad" for you, and take you to the voting machine."
I then got my ballad back in my hand.
I told him if you want to help then let me take your arm. It is much better to be led, then it is to be dragged.
My wife stayed out of it, because I never want her jumping in on this stuff. I handle it myself. However, she said she saw it all, and even after all these years being married to me she still has times like what I am trying to describe just planed shocks her.

I then was led to the voting machine in a civil manner, where I was to vote my wonderful "Secret Ballad."
When this was over, the next morning I was on the phone to commission for the Blind, and posting this experience on the Idaho discussion list, and getting hold of  the head of elections for the disabled. The upshot was excuses, about the pole workers had been running around 600 people a day through the voting sight. He said they had had, "sensitivity training."
He did admit, that it seemed everyone on mass forgot there "sensitivity training."
Before the conversation was over the head of elections for the disabled put in a email to me asking if I would help in traing pole workers state wide.
Will this come true? I am not sure, but if I can I will.

But it also could be, "Lip stick on a pig."

By the way almost the same thing happened to me four years ago accept for the ballad.
In fact, this man asked me if I had written a letter to the news paper about my experience four years ago? I said, "you got it."
You can see how well my letter to the paper worked.

In spite of experiences, nothing changes until something changes. Please, everyone that can, please vote publicly if you can, and if you can't get out, just vote.
We are at the time of the most important election in our life time.
 Remember our right to vote was bought by our young men and women's blood and life time injuries.

Stepper