[nagdu] voting nightmare

Pickrell, Rebecca M. Rebecca.Pickrell at ngc.com
Fri Oct 24 15:36:01 UTC 2008

A question on accessable voting machines, and my own thoughts.
1. The accessable voting machines I used were not fun. The problem is
that they use a flat pannel display, and I did not know where I was on
the pannel. The pannel did talk, but I found that it was impossible for
me to determine where I needed to push on the pannel to accomplish what
I wanted to do.
Either I am an idiot, or I'm using a poorly designed machine.
The machine I used almost appears as if it was designed by a sighted
person where a flat pannel interface would make sense.
What I found was that merely adding speech did not help me vote
independently.
Referring to Stepper's note about where to obtain information on how to
use these machines, this is good information. On the other hand,
shouldn't the usability of the machines be such that I shouldn't have to
look up "special instructions"?
The intent of these machines is great, I just have never been able to
figure out how to use them.
What am I missing?