[nagdu] Guide Dog Schools

Sheri Anderson sheri.k.anderson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 15:40:07 UTC 2009

Good morning all,

I am quite new to the list, and in this, I hope I am not breaking a
rule or two by asking the following question.

Long ago, before becoming a parent, I obtained a guide dog from Pilot
Dogs in Columbus Ohio. My dog was a wonderful guide, and I never once
had a problem with training, obedience, or the guiding itself. In two
instances I was actually saved by my dog, in a construction zone that
wasn’t properly blocked off. My guide dog used trained disobedience
when I said forward, and went around. I was told minutes later about
the construction, but obviously, it would have been to late.

Now I am faced with life as a cane user in working in Downtown
Nashville TN. I would like to get a guide dog, but am conflicted.

While I love Pilot, and have been told I can come anytime, I truly
can’t leave my children and job for two to three weeks.

I have contacted Fidelco, and been interviewed by the school. However,
it seems to be a lengthy process, and after months, I still haven’t
been notified if I even qualify by their board of directors. I am
totally blind, and have been since birth, work all day, and have a
family. Not to sure what it is they are looking for, but I have
remained safe as a cane user, using public transportation crossing
county lines daily.

My question is if anyone has any opinions not necessarily on the
schools above, but perhaps how long Fidelco will take, and if I should
just wait my turn?

Thanks so much.

Warmly,
Sheri