[nagdu] Guide Dog Schools

Alexis Read alexisread at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 12:04:47 UTC 2009

Sheri,

I'm not a grad of either Pilot or Fidelco, but I have heard that Fidelco is having some financial difficulties.  I've also heard that it can take up to a year to get matched with a dog.  I also know that Fidelco only trains German shepherds.

My recommendation is to apply to other schools like The Seeing Eye, Guiding Eyes for the Blind, or Guide Dogs for the Blind.  The Seeing Eye has a home and away program where students come to the school for 2 weeks and then receive a week of additional training in their home community.  I haven't participated in this program as Julia is my first dog from there.  Perhaps having received a dog from another school, you might qualify for the home and away program.  It wouldn't hurt to ask.

I also am aware of another home and away program at Guiding Eyes for the Blind.  It's called the Action program.  Students come to GEB for a week or two and then receive additional training in their community.

If you have questions about TSE, don't hesitate to ask.  Good luck with this process.

Alexis and Julia