[nagdu] Teeth Brushing

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Fri Apr 17 13:35:15 UTC 2009

Laura,

Unless your dog has some tooth or gum problem, I'm not sure that brushing
every day is really doing much good, other than irritating the gums.

I think I brush our dogs' teeth here maybe once a month if that. I try to
examine the mouth once a week or so as my husband's dog had a lesion removed
about 6 months ago that we never even caught until the vet saw it during an
exam for something else.

Like ear cleaning, I was told that teeth brushing should be done, but maybe
not every day.

I know several people who have had success with the dental gels that you put
in the water bowl. These contain enzymes that can do a better job of
cleaning the mouth and teeth than we can by brushing.

Of course though if you are really unsure, check with your vet.