[nagdu] Compare and contrast

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 20:18:55 UTC 2009

OK. Got my mail reader working and was able to read this whole message. (I
sometimes think my computer has it in for me.)

My personal issue was that I felt a school should not hold up the processing
of my application when I indicated the type of coverage I had but was
temporarily unable to locate the policy number. I would also have issues
with a school *requiring* that I purchase *some* sort of medical insurance
to attend class. I don't have a problem with allowing people to make copies
of it.

I think we should also try to compare this situation with something that
doesn't involve disability in any way.

I also happen to think that the word "paternalistic" gets used too often to
describe too many situations. Schools (and other blindness and non-blindness
organizations) can take all sorts of actions out of concerns for "liability"
that have nothing to do with paternalism.

JMO.