[nagdu] thank you

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Sat Apr 25 19:57:35 UTC 2009

Bill,

Those are all good questions, unfortunately there aren't any easy answers.
*smile*

Both of the dogs I have right now I got as older puppies, 9 to 10 months
old.  Belle had absolutely no training, but did have very nice manners.
Monty had a very minimal amount of obedience training, but needed some
refinement on his manners!   When I'm looking for a dog to train I
concentrate on the personality of the dog and not so much what training
they've had.  I look for a dog who is very comfortable in their own skin.  I
want a dog who is easy going, confident, adaptable and recovers quickly and
easily from new or startling situations.

How long it takes to complete the guide training depends on how old the dog
is when you start, what previous training they've had, how much you work on
the training, how quickly the dog learns and how quickly the dog matures.
Belle was 9 months old when I got her.  She knew absolutely nothing, not
even her name.  It took me one year to complete her training.   Monty was
approximately 10 months old when I got him.  He is now 18 months old.  He is
an extremely high energy dog, who is taking a bit longer to mature than
other dogs I've had.  I have no idea when he'll be finished with his guide
training.  I'm hoping for this late summer/fall.   So about 1 year for him
too.  He learns faster than Belle, but is not nearly so focused as she was.
Every dog is different and every owner trainer is different.

If you start with a dog who has a lot of the basic skills already mastered
and is a bit older, I think you could complete the guide training in 4
months or so.

HTH
Julie