[nagdu] Dave, Tammy, & Maddox Anspach

Charlene Ota caota at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Aug 8 07:44:24 UTC 2009

I know of two incidents where guide dogs were transferred to another person
without the person going to the school. Both times the people involved were
experienced dog users.

One was a situation where Pilot Dogs had a student who passed away and some
other people were coming to a Pilot Dog reunion right around that time who
lived near by so they were asked to bring the dog with them. The husband had
a dog but the wife's dog had died a few months earlier. The dog is a boxer
and by the time he had traveled with the couple for a couple of days and
stayed with them, he was so attached to the wife that after some
consideration, the Pilot trainer and the couple agreed that she would become
the owner and user of the dog.

Another time, a friend had had to retire her Seeing Eye dog and had been
waiting for a dog. A friend of hers had a dog that wasn't working out very
well, but this dog really had an affinity for my friend. When all was said
and done, the dog was just transferred to the other person when the trainer
came to visit.

Granted, both situations did involve the schools, but it's kind of similar
to the situation that's been discussed, too, in that there wasn't formal
training. And, like someone mentioned, it really does show the adaptability
of the dogs.

Charlene