[nagdu] Air Charters and the extra seat

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 23:04:47 UTC 2009

Yes, airlines are charging for more things these days and some may say
that these are unnecessary charges. However, from what i've observed
as a fairly frequent air traveler, traveling around 3-5 times per
year, Southwest doesn't charge nearly as often as some of the other
airlines do. I just came back from Florida where I unfortunately had
to take Continental. I don't have anything against the airline, other
than the baggage fees that they charged for my one bag, which
Southwest does not charge, and the way at which I nearly got into
heated arguments with the airline personnel regarding where to seat me
and my guide dog. One of the planes was one of those smaller express
jets. I truly learned that every part of those jets are smaller, from
the seats across the width of the plane to the space between the floor
and ceiling, and that in the seating area this space is even less. On
the way to Florida they wanted to put me in the bulkhead area, but I
successfully pointed out that I wouldn't have any room. yes, my dog
could stretch out, but it being a 2 hour flight, I'd have nowhere to
put my feet. I managed to move back one row so my dog could fit under
the seat. Fortunately, even though it was a smaller plane, there was
no separater between the seats on the floor, as there is on the normal
size planes. This allowed my dog to stretch out a little and get more
comfortable. The trip back to Houston from Florida, where I connected,
though was a little different. They tried to put me in the front as
well, but this time on the side with one seat. This didn't work well
at all and I ended up going back to my original seat, which was still
tight but it worked out.

Didn't mean to ramble. Thankfully the people that met me at the gate
didn't offer wheelchairs so I didn't have to stomach that fight.
Besides, I think both my dog and I were glad to get out and stretch
our legs. I did discover on a happier note that the houston
Intercontinental airport has a dog relief area. Unfortunately outside,
but they have one, much to my dog's relief as well, grin. We did have
to go back through security on the way back to the gate though.

Wayne