[nagdu] blindlaw] FW: FAQ Concerning Air Travel of PeoplewithDisabilities

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Mon Aug 17 18:31:08 UTC 2009

Cheryl,

Thanks so much for that document. I knew there was a citation about this
issue somewhere in which not all items for the service animal would count as
assistive devices and have been racking my brain and both my computers to
find it. <grin>

The argument could be made that food is an equivalent to batteries in terms
of the operation of the service animal, i.e., you use batteries to run other
assistive devices, your service animal won't run long without food. Somehow
I don't think the FAA and DOT see it that way though.

For those who want to know specifics, here's question 47.

47. Are food and equipment that a service animal requires to function as a
service animal considered assistive devices under Part 382?

Answer:  Equipment used by a service animal (e.g., harness, leash, vest) in
conjunction with its work as a service animal is an assistive device under
the rule.  Food is not equipment under this definition and therefore when
tendered as carry-on or checked baggage, the standard size, weight, and
baggage allowance limits of the carrier may apply.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com