[nagdu] Southwest Airlines Customers of Size Policy

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 18 00:26:37 UTC 2009

Good evening everyone,

    Over the past few days I shared my experience with Southwest Airlines
and having been told to purchass an extra seat dur due  due to my being
large. Here is their policy concerning Customers of Size that you can read
for yourself to better understand what happened. At least these guys have
the guts to post this information on their Web site. Other airlines don't
post it anywhere. Large passengers that choose to use them could be in for a
nasty surprise when arriving for their flight as airtravel wasn't all ready
expensive and one big hassle. For everyone's information I have a few more
documents on the subject to share including one that discusses a move to
urge airlines to install wider seats; something that would benefit both
customers of size and guide dog users. Enjoy.

>From the Web Site:
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/cos_guidelines.html

Guidelines for Customers of
Size--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customers who are unable to lower both armrests (the definitive boundary
between seats) and/or who compromise any portion of adjacent seating should
proactively
book the number of seats needed prior to travel. This purchase serves as a
notification of a special seating need and allows us to process a refund of
the additional seating cost after travel (provided the flight doesn't
oversell). Most importantly, it ensures that all onboard have access to safe
and
comfortable seating.

For more information, please refer to our
Customer of size QA

Booking Instructions via southwest.com

list of 6 items
1. Click "Reservations."
2. Select your city pair(s) and travel date(s).
3. Select the number of seats needed ("two" is the typical choice for most
Customers of size).
4. Proceed through the "Select Flight" and "Itinerary and Pricing" pages.
5. Complete the "Passenger Information" name fields: For
example
, a Passenger named Tom Smith would designate Passenger One as "Tom Smith,"
and Passenger Two as "Tom XS Smith" (first name XS and last name).
6. If a Customer purchases a Business Select or an Anytime fare, the second
seat can be sold at the discounted Child's Fare. It is important to note
that
the Child's fare is available via our Reservations Sales Center only. You
will need to call 800 I-FLY-SWA to book/purchase the extra seat at the Child
Fare.
list end

Booking Instructions via our Reservations Center at 800 I-FLY-SWA
(800-435-9792)

list of 3 items
1. Inform the Agent you are familiar with our Customer of size policy and
wish to book two seats.
2. We will offer the lowest fare available and if an advance purchase,
discounted fare is booked, the second seat will be sold at the same
discounted fare.
3. If a Customer purchases one of our unrestricted full fares, the second
seat will be sold at the Child's Fare.
list end

Checkin Instructions

list of 3 items
1. Customers can retrieve a
Security Document
1 online to pass through a security checkpoint if not checking baggage.
2. If baggage or wheelchair assistance is needed curbside, a skycap will
escort the Customer to the ticket counter. The Customer of size checkin is
handled
at the ticket counter or at the gate (and cannot be processed online or via
E-Ticket Check-In kiosk).
3. At checkin, the Customer will receive a boarding pass,
Reserved Seat Document,
Refund Advice Slip
, and preboard directions.
list end

1On occasion, federally mandated procedures may prevent our ability to issue
a Security Document online. Under these circumstances, please see a
Southwest
Customer Service Agent at the airport for assistance.

Customer of Size
QA--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>From the Web Site:
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/cos_qa.html
list of 23 items
. Is the policy unique or new to Southwest Airlines?
No, other carriers have similar policies, but to the best of our knowledge,
no other carrier offers a refund after travel. We've followed this policy
for
28 of our 37 years of operation, but only became more vigilant regarding the
additional purchase when we began seeing an increase in the number of valid
complaints from passengers who traveled without full access to the seat
purchased because a large Customer infringed upon the adjacent seating
space.
. Why ask large Customers to purchase additional seating?
We could no longer ignore complaints from Customers who traveled without
full access to the seat purchased due to encroachment by a large seatmate
whose
body extended into the neighboring seat. These Customers had uncomfortable
(and sometimes painful) travel experiences, and it is our responsibility to
seek resolution to prevent this problem.
. What is the cost of the additional seating?
If the Customer is holding an advance purchase, discounted fare, the second
seat will be sold at the same discounted fare. If the Customer has purchased
one of our low, unrestricted full fares, the second seat will be sold at the
Child's Fare.
. What is the definitive gauge for a Customer of size?
The armrest is the definitive gauge, as it serves as the boundary between
seats. Customers who are unable to lower the armrests (the definitive
boundary
between seats) and/or who compromise any portion of adjacent seating should
proactively book the number of seats needed during initial reservations.
. How do I qualify for and request a refund of the additional seat purchase?
As long as the flight does not oversell (having more confirmed Customers
waiting to board an aircraft than seats on the aircraft), we will refund the
additional
seat purchase after travel. A
Refund Advice Slip
, a guide for conveniently requesting refunds (via telephone or letter), is
provided to the Customer of size at checkin. And, if it appears a flight
will
oversell, the option to purchase a second seat and travel on a less full
flight is available.
. Are there other reasons to purchase additional seating?
Yes, Customers wishing to secure in an aircraft seat a musical item, a child
restraint device for an infant, etc. must purchase an additional ticket.
However,
these Customers have other "options" such as holding an infant under the age
of two as a lap child or placing the instrument in an onboard stowage space
or in the cargo hold, and we are sensitive to fact that a large Customer has
no option regarding seating space. For that reason, we offer a refund of the
additional seat purchased (by a Customer of size) as long as the flight does
not oversell.
. Won't this be embarrassing to the large Customer and the Employee?
It's tough to speak privately in an airport setting, and because a
discussion about size is sensitive, we've cautioned our Employees to use
discretion.
Yes, it's difficult to deliver or receive a sensitive message, and to
alleviate confusion, we encourage Customers with unique seating needs to
proactively
purchase additional seating (again, this is to notify us of the unique
need). We ask this to accommodate our Customers in comfort and avoid
embarrassing
conversation. Ultimately, it is the Customer's responsibility to communicate
with us upfront (at the time of booking) about his/her seating needs so that
we may best serve him/her and all others onboard.
. I am a large person and use a seatbelt extension, but I fit in one
aircraft seat. Do I have to purchase two seats?
Our policy does not focus on weight, and the seatbelt extension is not the
determining factor. We use the ability to lower the armrests as the gauge,
as
the armrests are truly the definitive boundary between each seat.
. Are all overweight people subject to the policy?
Many Americans are "overweight" or "clinically obese." A number of
overweight or obese people occupy only one seat. In fact, many Customers may
use a seatbelt
extension but occupy only one seat, and these Customers would not be asked
to reserve a second seat. If a Customer cannot lower the armrest (and is
unable
to comfortably travel with it in the down position), he/she is required to
pay for the additional seat occupied. Again, we will offer a refund if the
flight
does not oversell.
. I'm large but can be seated with the armrests down. Aren't your Employees
wrong to question me?
If a concern exists, we shouldn't ignore it even if it's difficult for both
parties to discuss. Condoning an unsafe, cramped seating arrangement onboard
our aircraft is far more inappropriate than simply questioning a Customer's
fit in our seats.
. Why not make your seats wider or add a few wide seats on your aircraft?
Our ongoing goal is to operate a low-fare, low cost airline, and the costs
of reconfiguring our fleet would be staggering and would ultimately reflect
in the form of higher fares for our Customers. Purchasing two seats on
Southwest Airlines is significantly less expensive than purchasing one first
class
seat on another airline.
. If a flight is "open," why are you charging for an additional seat?
A Customer of size has no way of knowing at the time of booking if his/her
flights will be full. The inconsistency of charging for the extra seat on
one
occasion and not others leaves the Customer not knowing what to expect and
not having a full understanding of our policy. Thus, we require the
additional
purchase despite booking levels.
. Why can't two large Customers share their second seat?
Open seating cannot guarantee that there will be an entire row open for two
Customers to sit together and share the middle seat on each leg of the trip.
. Why can't a large Customer sit with a family member who doesn't mind being
encroached upon or a small child/person who doesn't take a full seat?
Open seating cannot guarantee that two people will be able to sit together.
In addition, we must treat the smaller person (despite willingness or
personal
relationship) as a valued Customer who deserves the use of a full seat. Most
importantly, we have to consider the safety aspect of the family member
whose
movement (especially in the event of an emergency) could be compromised if
encroached on by a large seatmate.
. Isn't this policy just another way to increase your revenue?
No, we are not "making money" from this policy. In addition to giving the
Customer a refund for the second seat, we are absorbing the administrative
costs
(staffing and processing) of issuing the refund. 98 percent of extra seat
purchases qualify for a refund, as a refund request is declined only in the
event
of an oversale that causes us to deny transportation to a confirmed Customer
(to whom we must issue denied boarding compensation).
. If a Customer has broad shoulders, will he/she have to buy a second seat?
Again, if a Customer cannot lower the armrests, the additional purchase is
necessary. Simply having broad shoulders would not necessarily prevent
another
Customer from occupying adjoining seat. The upper body can be adjusted, but
the portion of the body in the actual seating and armrest area doesn't have
this flexibility.
. Why isn't this information on your tickets, referenced on the
booking/reservations pages of your web site, or questioned by your
Reservations Employees?
We estimate that the Customer of size policy affects far less than half a
percent of our Customers, and ultimately, it is the responsibility of a
Customer
with a unique and unusual need to communicate with us upfront so that we may
best serve him/her and all others onboard. We won't know of an unusual need
unless the Customer tells us.
. Doesn't your policy violate the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Air
Carrier Access Act?
Interstate airline travel is specifically excluded from Title II of the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) by Section 12141(2). Airline travel is
instead
covered by the Air Carrier Access Act, 49 U.S.C. 1374(c) and the regulations
implementing the Act issued by the Department of Transportation as 14 CFR
Part 382, et seq. The Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) preceded the ADA, and
Congress excluded air carriers and other air transportation services from
the
scope of ADA. As regulated under 14 CFR §382.38 Seating accommodations (i)
"Carriers are not required to furnish more than one seat per ticket or to
provide
a seat in a class of service other than the one the passenger has
purchased."
. Can I be preapproved as needing only one seat?
Because size can fluctuate, we are unable to give blanket authorization.
. How will you ensure no one takes the seat beside me if I've purchased a
second seat?
The Customer who has purchased two seats must be an active participant in
preserving his/her additional seat. We encourage Customers of size to
preboard
to locate adequate seating, placing the
Reserved Seat Document
 in the adjacent seat. Our Ground Operations and Inflight Employees
communicate about special needs Customers, and if a Customer of size needs
seating assistance,
he/she should ask an Employee for help.
. I'm pregnant, will I have to purchase two seats?
A woman who is pregnant does not occupy two seats if she can lower the
armrests.
. Can I check in using an E-Ticket Check-In kiosk or online checkin?
Because a Customer of size has special seating needs; is encouraged to
preboard; and needs specific boarding/seating documents, these Customers are
required
to check in with a Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter or at the
gate. A Skycap can assist a Customer of size with baggage and provide an
escort
to the ticket counter, and a Customer of size wishing to bypass the ticket
counter may simply print a Security Document online for access through the
security
checkpoint. At checkin, a Customer of size will receive a boarding pass,
Reserved Seat Document, Refund Advice Slip, and preboarding direction.
. Isn't this policy discriminatory toward large Customers?
Southwest Airlines does not condone discrimination in any form. We have
Employees and Customers of all races, ethnicity, religions, shapes, and
sizes.
Our Mission and our responsibility per our Contract of Carriage is to
provide safe and comfortable air transportation for each and every Customer.
This
policy has been upheld in court and is supported by the Department of
Transportation's stance that the purchase of a single ticket offers the use
of a
single seat.
list end
 There you have it. During my flight I was told that the COS Policy was an
FAA regulation. I don't know about you but after reading this document I see
no references to any FAA regulations that set arm rests as the definitive
boundary between seats. And no where are any so-called FAA policies
referenced that readers of this information can examine for themselves.
While this issue isn't a blindness matter perse it's one to monitor should
airlines use these policies to indirectly discriminate against guide dog
users. I wanted to share this with you in the event there are large persons
on this list who may be flying on Southwest Airlines. For this and other
reasons our interest in charter flights has been hightened. All the best.

Peter Donahue

"Will you come and awake our lost land from its slumber
      And her fetters we'll break, links that long are encumbered.
      And the air will resound with hosannas to greet you
      On the shore will be found gallant Irishmen to greet you."
Will You Come to the Bower
Traditional Irish Folk Song