[nagdu] Delta Airlines and our Trip

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 20 02:02:06 UTC 2009

Good evening everyone,

    Of all of our airlines over the years Delta has done its best to be
reasonable when it comes to its treatment of passengers with unique needs
i.e. large passengers and those with disabilities. I check with them this
evening to get an idea of the fare for our trip in November. I'm amazed at
the difference between coach and first class fares. Quotes from Delta and
several other airlines I contacted confirms what I've been saying. For the
price of two first class tickets, $1500.00 each totaling $3000.00 plus taxes
and security fees we could possibly charter a plane for the trip. Obviously
we don't want to spend that money if we don't need to.

    The Delta agent I spoke to was very nice and listened to the account of
my treatment by Southwest last month. Unlike the other airlines I checked
with she explained how Delta deals with large passengers. Put simply if
there are extra seats available on their flight passengers needing the
additional seat space are given an extra seat without charge. If the flight
is full large passengers are allowed to fly stand-by on a later flight. This
to me is a far better and a more humane approach to addressing this issue
than the practices of airlines like Southwest and some others.

    This woman's explanation is further supported by the fact that one of
our members from North Dakota is also quite large and needs additional seat
space. North Dakota federationists flew to Detroit on Delta. Jenelle Bichler
their state president told me that she discussed the COS issue with Delta
for this member and received the same response as I did tonight. And delta
delivered on what they told Jenelle and the member in question. She was
allowed to travel without needing to purchess and extra seat due to her
being a customer of size. Should the charter option still be out of the
question for us guess which airline will get our business.

    Let me also remind folks that Delta has had a good record of dealing
with passengers using guide dogs including having approved routes of entry
in to the UK that permit our dogs to travel in the cabin. These routes now
include those once operated by Northwest Airlines. My only two complaints at
the moment are that I wish I could have paid for our tickets tonight and
would appreciate it if one could pay their baggage handling fees prior to
their trip. Thanks for putting up with me.

Peter Donahue

"Will you come and awake our lost land from its slumber
      And her fetters we'll break, links that long are encumbered.
      And the air will resound with hosannas to greet you
      On the shore will be found gallant Irishmen to greet you."
Will You Come to the Bower
Traditional Irish Folk Song