[nagdu] Clicker Treats RE: dog corrections

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Aug 31 14:27:29 UTC 2009

It is my understanding that, once the dog understands the behavior being
clicked for, one is supposed to sometimes click with no treat.  For
instance, Ben loves his cave under my desk at work, and he takes a while
to come out when I call him.  So I call him, and click and treat when he
comes out and touches my hand.  So I thought that the next step is to call
him, and, sometimes, click and treat, and other times just click.  Then I
can gradually phase out the click.  This is what I thought was sometimes
called "The Las Vegas method", because the dog never knows when he might
hit the jackpot, so he will keep playing the game, just in case.

Of course, Ben is very clever, so if I skip the treat more than once in a
row, he stops coming out again.  Have I said that he's a brat?

Have I got the method right, or am I missing something?
Tracy