[nagdu] guide dog responsibilities

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 3 18:14:43 UTC 2009

Oh, yes!  Very New York.

When my central vision started to go, I started having panic attacks, too.
I am normally very even-tempered and pretty mellow yellow...  So it took me
awhile to recognize a panic attack before it would get the best of me.  OMG!
I've never experienced myself just blowing up before that.

Oddly, the panic attacks ended once I left my marriage.  I was physically
attacked while at the living skills program in our state.  By staff!  The
administration there clearly thinks that it okay, and others continue to
come out with similar injuries.  Very bad.  Also, I had a mentally ill
roommate who became violently psychotic.  Her, I was able to keep from
following through on her attacks, although before she turned violent, she
was always in my space, bumping me into walls and stuff, so I did end up
with some soft tissue injury from that, as well.  The fact that I could keep
an attacker at bay when she was having a psychotic episode and honestly
believed I was out to kill her, but could not prevent the agency staff from
inflicting serious injuries really says it all about their attitudes towards
their clients!  I've never had to consider using active self-defense before,
but if I could go back, I would do so instead of holding back and trying to
resolve things reasonably.  But I digress. /smile/

The point is that I ended up with a healthy case of PTSD that took about six
months to resolve.  Would you believe I didn't have regular panic attacks
during that time?  Unless I had to walk into the agency offices because I
still was trying to get the VR services and tools my tax dollars had been
paying for all this time!

Owner-trainer a young and very energetic poodle has really gotten my zen
back into play.  She's a very mellow poodle, but still a poodle.  /grin/
She picks up on my attitude and emotions, and when she was young would get
overstimulated and start bouncing and levitating and stuff, and I would have
to use a calming touch and voice to keep her earthbound until her heart
slowed down...  Poodles also tend to melt down under negative stress, and
you do not want to be standing in the middle of a crowded sidewalk with a
melted poodle just because you let yourself get a bit anxious...  /lol/  So
I am ridiculously mellow these days.  Most of the time.  /grin/

Also very protective of my dog!  There have been a few times I would have
liked to channel every stereotypical New Yorker in my fury, only I would
have to stay really zen to keep from further stressing my pup...  Where's
the fun in that?

I haven't had a cane stepped on yet -- perhaps because I still have some
residual vision.  I did have it stolen from the dog park once and got to
walk about eight blocks home in the dark when my residual vision was
useless.  So that was interesting.  Now, even when I go out with my cane, I
tend to keep a spare telescoping or folding cane on me at all times.

Tami Smith-Kinney