[nagdu] Telescoping canes

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sun Dec 6 19:51:50 UTC 2009

Hi, Linda and everyone,

My present job is very itinerant.  I visit homes, schools, preschools, and
hospitals over an area of 5 or more counties to visit my students.  There is
no way I could achieve all the required travel except by having my own car
and driver.  Consequently, I am delivered door to door by my driver, who
happens to be my retired research chemist husband.  So there is very little
work for a guide animal in my present work day.  I use my cane within the
buildings, although it would be nice sometimes to have Panda there to help
me navigate around the buildings.

Once I get to my locations, there is often so little space that I can hardly
find a spot to put down my bag of teaching materials, let alone a place to
put a guide dog or horse.  Many of the homes I visit present conditions that
I would not want to expose a guide animal to.  And in the schools and
classrooms some of the children do have many sorts of allergies and many
have compromised respiratory systems.  Some are on ventilators.  I would
have to get medical clearance to bring any sort of animal into these places,
I think.

On top of all this, since I visit so many schools and have no "home base" or
classroom space to call my own, I am a guest for an hour or even less in
someone else's classroom.  Neither the staff nor the children are accustomed
to seeing a blind person traveling with a cane, let alone with a guide dog
or guide horse.  I would have to do a lot of education and desensitization
to get to the point where my appearance in the halls of a school wouldn't
cause a complete disruption of the normal routine.  While I am sure that
this effort would be very beneficial educationally for the children and
adults in those environments, I really prefer to just go about my business
of working with the visually impaired children and their peers and
caregivers without the distraction of a very attractive animal, whether dog
or horse, to constantly explain.  People unfamiliar with the work of service
animals tend to think it's all about the animal, rather than being just a
way for a blind person to go about her life.  People have a very hard time
allowing the animal to just be there, especially when that animal is not a
constant presence, but only an occasional visitor.

So, the long and the short of it is that I don't usually bring Panda to work
with me.  I have brought her to schools upon request, and I do do
educational talks about blindness for school groups, sometimes with Panda
present and sometimes without Panda.  For example, in January I am scheduled
to do a talk about Louis Braille and braille literacy for the kindergarten
through 3rd grade students at one of the elementary schools where I work.
The talk is supposed to be only about 10 or 15 minutes.  If I bring Panda,
the event will inevitably turn into a question and answer session about
guide horses.  So I will probably not take Panda, so that I can keep the
focus of the talk on how blind people read and write and perform other
normal activities of life.  I may mention or show pictures of blind people
traveling with a guide dog or a guide horse, and I will demonstrate the use
of the white cane, which many of the children will have observed me using
while walking around the school building.  I will probably touch on how
blind people do other daily activities, like tell time, engage in sports and
games, make art and music, help their kids do homework, and use a telephone
and computer.  At other times, I talk specifically about Panda, her
training, and about guide and service animals and the etiquette of
interacting with service animals and their handlers.  But I find it
difficult in a short presentation to cover all of this territory, so I tend
to keep them pretty much separate.

I do use Panda daily for walks and trips around my town and to do errands
and on out of town trips as well.  If I were still working in one school or
one school district and were traveling on foot or by public transportation,
I would probably choose to have my guide with me all the time during my work
day.  But in my current working conditions, if I had a guide dog instead of
a guide horse, I don't know whether I would want to take the dog into many
of the places where I have to go.  The guide would probably spend a lot of
time sitting out in the car with my husband waiting for me to come out, and
then spend more time in the car traveling to the next place--not much of a
life for either a guide dog or a guide horse.

Unlike what might be expected of a guide dog, Panda seems to have adjusted
well to not being with me during the work day.  She is always glad to see me
upon my return home and eager to spend the evening with me and to go out on
our walks and adventures.  But she doesn't get "rusty" or lose her working
skills and she doesn't seem to need to be at my knee all the time to
maintain our close relationship.  So, for the time being at least, our
current mode of operation seems to be working well enough.  Some time in the
not too distant future I would like to change my lifestyle to permit Panda
and I to work together for more of the day.  But that is for the future....

Best,
Ann