[nagdu] clicker training was tripping on bones

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Tue Dec 8 15:48:13 UTC 2009

Tracy,

I don't know of any clicker books that don't focus on the visual aspects of
clicker training.  That was a really difficult thing for me to get past when
I first started using clicker methods.  Beginning exercises are usually some
variation of click when the dog looks at you.  Poor Belle must have been
very frustrated with me.  I must have tried a dozen nonvisual ways of trying
to figure out when her head was turned my direction.  None of them worked
and I pretty much decided that clicker training was not for blind people.

Then someone suggested skipping the whole eye contact step and moving
directly to a nose target.  Success!  We got that figured out in a manner of
minutes.  Things became much easier after I made the leap from doing exactly
what the books said to understanding the underlying logic and applying that
in a way that worked for me and Belle.

I think any of the clicker books available are really good resources to get
started understanding clicker methods, but for applying that knowledge to
guide dog training, I'd highly recommend joining an email group on the
topic. The group that Anne has on Smart Groups is very good.  There is one
on Yahoo groups that is very good too, but my computer isn't cooperating at
the moment so I can't bring up the subscription info.  It's blind and vi
clicker trainers, searching Yahoo groups should find it.

HTH
Julie