[nagdu] clicker training question

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 9 04:59:15 UTC 2009

Sherrill,

Well...  The short answer would be, "it depends."  /evil grin/

Here's my understanding, such as it is:  clicker training is based on the
principles of operant conditioning.  The clicker is a tool to apply to the
use of operant conditioning.  If you're interested, the subscription address
for Ann's list is vi-clicker-trainers-request at freelists.org.

It's not the only tool that can be used that way.  In it's simplest form,
operant conditioning involves rewarding desired behavior positively and
failing to reward negative behavior.

Only it's not that simple, naturally.  Well, applying that principle isn't.
There's a ton of literature these days, and the really good
vi-clicker-training list and probably a number of others.  I haven't checked
out the blind clicker trainers list Julie mentioned in an earlier post.  It
is helpful to learn techniques that don't involve literally seeing what your
subject is doing.

Anyway, I have always applied operant condition with praise and a "las
vegas" style foold reward to add to that.  Meaning that I intermittently
give a food reward while repeating the verbal praise.  I started using the
clicker for the first time with Mitzi, partway through her training, and I
love it!  I can't wait for an opportunity to see how it works with horses!
I find it especially useful for reinforcing guide behaviors because it's
quicker to click than to utter verbal praise.  So I can more easily capture
an exact behavior on the fly, instead of inadvertently praising the next
step.  Did that make sense?  My curly girl doesn't need so much cheerleading
these days, but I still like to use the clicker to give positive
reinforcement in situations we don't practice that often.

I also like the clicker with "las vegas" style food rewards because I don't
have to stop to reward her for ignoring something she would normally stop to
sniff.  I can just click -- and praise the first few times she goes by a
regular temptation -- then give a food reward at the next curb.  So it's
real handy.

I'm also finding the clicker handy for off leash obedience -- mostly
boundary training.  I always feel odd bringing up off leash training on this
list, though.  Mitzi was pack raised, meaning she ran with the other dogs on
a small acreage, until she came to me at 7 months, then I was able to find a
nearby off leash area fairly quickly and continue letting her run and
socialize freely.

For the record, I would not be so cavailier with a program dog, since
they're not raised to run wild, run free.  I would do off leash training in
a much more constrained manner, with much more built in safety than I do
with her.  Not because I value her any less, but because she was raised to
know *how* to run freely and safely when she was still a pup.  It also seems
that when poodles aren't being velcro dogs, they're yo-yo dogs.  The ones I
know love to run like maniacs away from their humans, then suddenly snap
around and run just as fast back.  Very funny.  And it's made it easy for me
to treats and clicker to reinforce her recall.  /grin/  Whatever works, I
guess.  I just know it's really convenient for me to learn to hike and be
all outdoorsy again while she runs along beside and observes and learns,
only I don't have to worry about her leash or whether she's going to pull on
it when I'm trying to balance over a really high step or something.

And I take Tums!  Lots and lots of Tums.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney