[nagdu] dog breeds and owner training

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 02:30:47 UTC 2009

Hi Mardi,
If you live in Wiscosin, there is a guide dog training program
called Occupaws, which also does home training.  I got my first
guide dog, a yellow lab named Gilbert from Occupaws six months
ago.  For medical reasons, I was also unable to be away from home
by myself for four weeks.  I have been very happy with Gilbert,
and I received wonderful training right on my college campus.
Whereever you live, I strongly encourage you to look into home
training programs.  They are out there, and they make much more
sense for some people.  By the way, I am also a new member of
this list.
Allison and Gilbert

Users" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:54:31 -0800
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] dog breeds and owner training

>Hi Mardi,

>I wonder where you live? Perhaps up north like Alaska where
huskies are
>so common? You mentioned that you could not get a program trained
dog
>because you could not leave your home and business for 4 weeks.
There
>are schools like Fidelco that do in-home training.  By the way, I
just
>joined this list.

>Cheers,
>Haben

>Mardi Hadfield wrote:
>> Hi every one,  I have had many different breeds of dogs as pets,
But all of
>> my guide dogs have been Huskies.  I tried a border collie, and
he would have
>> been a good guide,but he was an abused dog before I got him and
he could not
>> handle being out in public.  Wanagi is a shepherd / husky cross
and she was
>> coming along very nicely with her training, when the weather
changed to cold
>> and rainy and I discovered that she had a hip problem.  I think
she would
>> have made an excellent guide if she did not have that problem.
I should have
>> had her  xrayed, but the vet said she moved fine so I thought
she was OK.  I
>> will not make that mistake again.  Tracy said it, not all dogs
make it as
>> guides.  I kept Wanagi as we did bond, right from the start.
She is still
>> very special to me.  I hate that I have to retire Nala.  As much
as I loved
>> Lily, my first guide, Nala is a much better guide and she really
loves her
>> job.  I have continued to work her only because she does not
want to retire
>> yet.  But I know that when the weather here gets hot, she will
not be able to
>> work.  I am going to try out a german shepherd tomorrow.  I hope
this dog will
>> work out.  If I were able to walk and use a guide dog, there
would have been
>> several dogs that I tried out that would have worked.  Finding a
dog that can
>> keep up to my pace with the wheel chair and remain in the right
position
>> next to the chair, is not easy.  I am spoiled,as Nala was
perfect from the
>> very beginning, when I got her.She learned very fast and really
enjoyed
>> working.  The first time I took her on the bus, she went up on
the lift ,just
>> like she had been doing it all her life.  In the time period of
4 months,she
>> was a finished, trustworthy guide dog.  This time is not so
easy, as I just
>> can't seem to find a dog that even wants to work, let alone keep
up with me
>> and stay in the correct position.Things would be much simpler if
I could get
>> a program trained dog,but I just can't be away from my home and
other
>> animals and my business for 4 weeks.  So I will keep looking for
that so far
>> allusive dog.  I know that I will find it , I just hope it is
soon.  I love
>> Huskies and for me they make a good guides, but I am open to
other breeds,
>> if that dog can do the job for me.   Have a great day,  Mardi
and
>> Nala,semi-retired
info for nagdu:

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/habnkid%40