[nagdu] I think I have found a dog !

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 05:30:03 UTC 2009

Hi every one,   I tried out a  shepherd type dog today.  This dog showed a
lot of promise. He has had almost no training at all. It took him a few
minutes to get used to the Halti, but when he did,I took him for a walk and
he walked in the correct position to guide from my wheelchair.  I went up
and down the street several times and then went  a little faster, and he
kept up with me ,holding the position. A man walking a Pit bull, or should I
say a pit bull walking  a man went down the street and the shepherd  ignored
it.He is a very friendly dog,and got along with my other dog with no
problems. He also got along with my cats.  Am I dreaming or is this real?
Nick, my trainer agreed that this dog is worth working with. He will go to
the vet to get checked out next week and this time I will have him xrayed to
make sure he has no abnormalities.Nick said he is a very beautiful dog. He
is the color of a light golden retriever, but his hair is not as long as a
golden's coat, but he is kind of fluffy. He has a black nose and charcoal
color hair around his ears and on his tail.His coat is very soft. He is not
as tall as a German shepherd, but a little taller than my huskies. He has a
lot to learn but I think he can do it. I hope so. I have named him Shaman. I
did not give him a Lakota name because he is so different looking than my
huskies, so I decided to give him a different kind of name. Nick and I had a
list of names that we put together and we chose a name from it. I think it
suites him , and he actually answerd to it and not any of the others, so I
guess he liked it. He is a young dog, about 1 year old. By the way, his name
was Fritz, but he did not answer to it so I decided to change it.   I will
keep you all updated as his vet check and his training progresses.  Have a
great day,   Mardi, and Nala, semi-retired, and Shaman, possible Trainee.