[nagdu] prayer request- surgery on my ears today-

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Thu Feb 12 17:26:34 UTC 2009

Hi Bunny,
I will pray for you (smile!). Hope your ear surgery goes well for you. It is
normal to be aprehensive over something like that.  Even when you've had
alot of surgeries like I have over the last four years!  Four on ONE eye, my
left foot, and now I'll be having surgery on the right foot in March.

I sometimes have a hard time with asking for help from people. But, you
know, I find that people are very willing in a case like surgery.  What
people don't like is when a person is always trying to make people do things
for them when they are perfectly capable of doing for themselves - they're
just being lazy.  I always remember something said by the late Ken Jernigan,
past president of the NFB.  He talked about true independence.  He wrote an
article about that in a Braille Monitor long time ago. Someone criticized
him for using a sighted guide to go from one meeting to another at
convention. He knew how to get around perfectly well on his own.  He went
with a sighted guide because he needed to talk business with that person as
they walked along.  When you use a cane or a dog, you have to concentrate on
your traveling so conversation isn't as easy.  He said that true
independence is knowing how to use resources appropriately.  It was an eye
opener (pun for the blind folks!) for me.  I realized that it's OK to ask
for help when I really needed it.

You are a very independent person - as I - and it is hard to ask for help.
But don't feel bad about that.  It is only temporary.  When I have my foot
operated on in March, I will be going right from the hospital to my parents'
home for a few days so my Mom can take care of me.  My job is to follow the
doctor's instructions of staying off of the foot with it elevated.  Every
hour it will have to be iced for 15 minutes.  It's nice that my Mom is a
retired RN nurse!  People know that you and I are fully capable of doing the
tasks required for living so they are very willing to help when we are
ordered by our doctors to stay quiet and resting.

My doctor told me about his other patients who didn't do as he asked and
they wound up having alot of pain from the same surgery as I had.  I had
next to NO pain with mine.  That's because the foot didn't get too swollen
which is what causes the pain. That all keeps the bleeding down as well.

It is NEVER a bad thing to ask for prayers.  It is NEVER offensive to ask
for prayers.  If someone gets offended with that, they have a problem!
(grin)!  People of all religions pray.  I've heard that even the athiests
pray when their life is in danger!

You take care and no worries - this is your friend here!  I pray that life
goes well for everyone on this list.  Remember, someone loves you all!

Regards,

Linda and Landon