[nagdu] question

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 04:14:10 UTC 2009

When I carry a cane and use sighted guide, I will typically have the
cane's tip out a few inches ahead, but not fully extended like I might
normally use it. I've discovered over the years that just because
someone's guiding me, doesn't necessarily mean that they're paying
attention to up and down curbs along the way.

When at the seeing Eye last fall, there was a day when we did country
work. This talk of using the cane with the dog brought back to mind
that country work we did. I found that Gucci was a little hesitant to
work when I held the cane horrizontally, but when held vertically, she
was fine with it. If I tried to have the cane ahead a few inches, she
would slow down and be wary of it, as if she were asking me, "Which do
you want to use, that stick or me?" Now though, we encounter canes on
a daily basis at my work, so she might have a different reaction if we
were to go out and work with a cane in my right hand.

Interesting discussion here,
Wayne