[nagdu] question

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Fri Feb 20 02:56:50 UTC 2009

Usually, I don't carry a cane when doing sighted guide.  My
parents are very experienced in sighted guide, so mishaps are
extreme rare.  When I have done sighted guide with friends, they
walk so slowly and caughtiously with me that again, mishaps are
extremely rare.  Also in school, I was always kind of clumsy, and
would forget to swing my cane wide enough.  Therefore, I have
given myself more black eyes using a cane than with sighted guide
(smile).  To me, carrying a cane when I do not plan to use it
does not seem necessary.  It's just another thing to hold, and
another thing for the public to trip over.  I respect anyone who
prefers to carry a cane.  This is just my personal preference.
Allison and Gilbert

Users" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:06:50 -0500
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] question

>Allison, can you send me a copy of your article? This brings up
another
>question I have, when you (the collective you, not just Allison)
go
>sighted guide, do you use your cane?
>I do because it lets me pick up on things the guide may not tell
me
>about.  The cane also identifies me as someone who is blind.
>Curious to know what others do.

On
>Behalf Of Allison Nastoff
>Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:29 PM
>To: NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog
Users
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] question

>Hi Lisa,
>I must confess that I don't carry a cane in my backpack.  I do
have a
>cane at my house, but I have had so much more practice walking
routes
>with Gilbert on my college campus than I had with a cane that
without
>Gilbert, I'm lost.  You can read about my disastrous attempt at
cane
>travel on campus in the next issue of Harness Up.
>I was a confident cane traveler around my high school, but
nowadays, if
>something happened to Gilbert, or if I were going to an event
that was
>inappropriate for him, I would much prefer sighted guide.
>Allison and Gilbert

Feb