[nagdu] Response to Meleah's post

sblanjones11 sblanjones11 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 21 01:34:50 UTC 2009

Angie,
As I probably told you before, I appreciate your incisive assessment of the
problem, and I share the longing you have for a solution, which you so
articulately express!
Good cane travel skills are important; but not at the expense of the bonding
and working relationship of the human-dog team.
The experience that a student gains at an NFB O & A center encompasses far
more than the choice to travel with a cane or dog.
Of course, it's always advisable to do one's O & A work either before, or
between dogs, but for many reasons, this is not always possible, and I
believe allowances should be made for those already partnered with a guide
or other service animal.

JMHO.
Susan & Rhoda