[nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind's guide dogpolicydoesnotdiscriminate

Marty Rahn marty.rahn at juno.com
Sat Feb 21 09:27:49 UTC 2009

Hello Everyone,
I don't mean any disrespect here, but this issue strikes a nerve with me.  I
was a student at the Colorado Center for The Blind from June of 2000 to
April of 2001.  While I was there, There were two or three students who came
to the center who used guide dogs as their prefered mode of travel.  Those
people were not told that they had to leave their dogs at home, nor were
they prohibited from taking their dogs to other classes such as Computer or
braille.  The only stipulation that was imposed was that the guide dog users
not use their dogs during travel instruction time.  If those people chose to
leave their dogs tied up in their apartments, then that was there choice.
likewise, if they decided to leave their dogs tied up to a table or in
another room while they spent the entire day working with a cane, or if they
decided to leave their dog in the care of someone while they went off to
training, that was also their choice.  Everyone is making the NFB centers
out to seem as though they're completely against guide dog users in their
programs, and from my point of view, that simply is *not* true.  At least it
wasn't at the Colorado Center for the Blind.  As a cane user who has
recently switched to using a dog, I am of the opinion that without good
orientation and cane skills, that a person is much more limited should their
dog become ill or injured, or have to be retired for some reason beyond that
person's control.  Orientation and mobility might be two separate skill sets
as someone pointed out, but as a person studying to be a teacher of blind
children, I can tell you that they are more closely related than some of you
on this list would like to believe.  I know that everyone has their own
opinion about this and will ultimately  believe what you will, but I
encourage everyone to look at all sides of this issue.  The lack of factual
information is often the reason why misconceptions and clouded judgments
continue to exist.  Think about it.  It is the reason why we as blind people
are so often judged, stereotyped and degraded in the eyes of the sighted
public.  to counteract this, we say that we wish to educate the public about
blind people and their capabilities.  Why can we not also educate each other
and ourselves about issues before we form an opinion one way or the other?
Just my thoughts.  I will post no more on this topic because In my opinion,
I think it's been rehashed to death!
Respectfully,
Marty With leader Dog Monty