[nagdu] another perspective

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Sun Feb 22 13:56:27 UTC 2009

I've been thinking about the whole Iowa case and reading all the comments with interest.  first let me say a very sincere thank you to everyone.  It is most definitely not an easy topic.  I am very pleased that everyone was respectful to each other.

I wanted to bring up an aspect of the guide dog and training center issue that I don't think has been discussed yet.

What about people with additional disabilities?I know of a few of you on this list.  People who choose to use a guide dog more from necessity than convenience.  We always say that using a guide dog is a choice and I agree mostly.  However, I do think that for some people the alternative to not using a guide dog is pretty grim.  When your choice is use a guide dog to be able to go and do what you want when you want or sit at home and wait for someone else to do it for you, it doesn't really seem much like a choice.

What happens when an individual that isn't able to use a cane wants to attend an orientation center?  What happens when an individual with an additional disability can use a white cane, but needs the service dog for other tasks? What happens when using a white cane is such a slow and tedious process that it hinders the learning?

Just some food for thought...

Julie