[nagdu] GDF's ownership policy

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Tue Feb 24 18:36:10 UTC 2009

OK, not good Netiquette to answer your own post, but I did neglect to
mention one key difference between ownership and custody at GDF.

It has to do with how a dog must be removed from a handle, if that is deemed
necessary due to the team being unsafe or proven allegations of abuse or
neglectr

If you own your dog, the only way GDF can reclaim that dog is through a
third party under the laws of your state and local government, such as a
humane officer or animal control agent or through a court order giving us
that ability.

If you choose custody of your dog, GDF has the right to reclaim the dog with
no other authority. There is an appeal procedure though for such occurrences
as deemed necessary to qualify for membership in both Assistance Dogs
International and the International Federation of Guide Dog Schools.

It is extremely rare that we reclaim a dog in either case, as I'd wager is
the case with most schools. We want teams to succeed and will do everything
we can to help that happen.

So, when looking at whether to own or simply have custody of the dog, that's
the biggest factor imho.

Someone asked how this is presented to the class. Both options are discussed
and people are given time to choose and either state publicly or contact the
instructor privately with their choices. Factors such as legal restitution
and procedures for reclaiming dogs are discussed during the class lecture.
I'm currently working on some material for our home training and combination
training students to more fully explain the differences.