[nagdu] occupaws ownership policy

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Thu Feb 26 03:20:44 UTC 2009

Hi List,
I have been reading your discussion about ownership policies at
the various schools, but I have a different perspective.
I received my dog from Occupaws, and the policy at Occupaws is
that they technically own the dog until he is retired.  My
trainer said the reason for this policy was liability.  While it
is rare, unfortunately some people do mistreat their dogs, or do
not make wise judgements about when it is time to retire them,
and the decision of Occupaws to maintain ownership of the dog is
simply a precaution.  At first when I learned of this policy, I
was disappointed.  But I soon realized that while Occupaws has
legal ownership of him, in every other regard, he is my dog.
Occupaws has contacted me every couple of months to make sure
things are working out, but they have never interfered in any
way.
Personally, I support this precautionary measure.  In the rare
case that a dog is mistreated, it would not be fair to the dog,
or to another handler who would appreciate this dog and take good
care of him, if the school gave full ownership to a handler, and
then was powerless to reclaim the dog from a handler if it came
to the school's attention that there is a problem.
I realize that some of you will be furious with me for saying
this, but it is my personal opinion.  The fact that I technically
don't own my dog has not prevented me from bonding with him, or
interfered with our work as a team.  I think that legal ownership
is just a technicality, and that emotional ownership is what
really matters.
Allison and Gilbert