[nagdu] Pet dogs and guide dogs at the same time / and Welcome

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 22:32:35 UTC 2009

  Hi every one,    Lisa, in answer to your question about having pets and
guide dogs at the same time, I would have to say that this has been a big
plus for me.  I have Nala, my current guide and Maximus,my seizure alert
dog, and Tokala, a dog I got to be trained as a guide,but is really too
small for my needs,and Wanagi, a career changed dog due to a hip problem,
and Shaman ,my current dog in training to be a guide. I also have 1 rescue
dog at this time,that I am fostering. This helps my guide dogs in training
to be very well socialized with many dogs and less likely to show aggression
towards other dogs. In other words, I have my own dog park. Rescues come and
go, so there are always new dogs on the scene and I must say, all my dogs
are very tolerant of each other and the new ones that come in. They seem to
enjoy playing with each other and in the case of the working dogs, they
definitely learn from each other. I also have 2 cats, which is good to keep
my guide dogs well cat desensitized. Along with my pet rat and my fish farm,
and all these dogs, I am kept very busy and this is good for me,as I don't
have time to give into all the aches and pains of a 62 year old disabled
woman, and I don't have time to get too depressed for long over life's bad
moments. It keeps me going and that is a good thing.   Now, I have lost
track of all the new people to the list. I want to welcome you all, and I
know you will enjoy this list. I love hearing about other people and their
dogs and  even enjoy all the different opinions that we all have and share
with each other. Have a great day,  Mardi and Nala,semi-retired, and
Shaman,  gdit, and the rest of the menagerie.