[nagdu] occupaws ownership policy

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Fri Feb 27 23:02:02 UTC 2009

Yeah, Angie, I agree with you on ownership.

A couple of years ago, a friend who has a GDA dog was to have surgery.  Her
dog went with a local GDA puppy raiser to "vacation" while her owner was in
the hospital.  The owner then died without ever letting anyone know her
wishes for the dog. She had the dog for several years and it wasn't really
ready for retirement.

Instead of the woman's friends taking the dog, GDA wanted the dog back and
the puppy raiser sent the dog back.  I called the school and asked what was
to become of the dog sinse I knew of someone who might want to adopt her.
The school told me that if anyone wanted the dog, they'd have to apply for
her.  I never did find out where the dog eventually went for her permanent
home - she was too old to re-issue.

Sooo, so much for real "ownership" (grin!)!

Someone, I forget who, wanted to know how would a dog being neglected or
abused would be reclaimed by the school. I think the abuse would be brought
to the attention of the local humane agency and they'd investigate the
situation.  If they deemed it abuse, the humane agency would take the dog
into custody just like any other similar situation with the general public.
This is how it is with Seeing Eye.

Regards,

Linda and Landon