[nagdu] Sad News

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Fri Feb 27 23:20:00 UTC 2009

Hi Lora,
Sorry that Myrtle didn't work out for you. Sounds like she didn't want to be
a guide dog!  This does happen.

I only had my first dog, Heidi for only two years.  She was an adult donated
dog who could never get used to relieving anywhere I brought her.  She lived
in someone's backyard and she only parked there in her pet life.  As a
result of my busy lifestyle - going to different places every day - she just
wouldn't adjust.  She couldn't adjust at school when I got her. She would
absolutely REFUSE to relieve on anything other than grass. Well, in a city,
grass isn't always available.  So, she'd hold it as long as she could and
then would drop poop like a horse - walking along - on the sidewalk and I
couldn't even feel her doing it!  I'd get yelled at by people, "Hey you
idiot!  Your dog is crappin' on the walkway!"  I couldn't do anything about
it and I was already too far away to even find the poop to pick up. So, the
dog was too set in her ways and I decided to send her back to the school.
She was a nice dog and worked well, but I coouldn't have a dog who'd poop
everywhere instead of where she ought to go!  The next dog was wonderful and
very easygoing and a good worker.

It's never easy and don't despair.  You'll get a better match next time
(grin!)  If you liked Leader Dogs, by all means, give them another try for
the next dog.  Remember - don't beat yourself up overt this. It happens.
But, I know, it's a definate bummer.

Regards,

Linda and Landon