[nagdu] Sad news

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 01:30:15 UTC 2009

Dear  Lora,   I am so sorry to here that this has happened. It is not easy
to say good by to a dog that you love. I think you did what you could to
remedy the problem,but some times these things happen. Not all dogs  have
the fortitude to be guide dogs. I recently had to career change a dog that I
bonded with the first week I had her. She came up lame with a hip problem. I
was lucky enough to be able to keep her as a pet. I also tried out another
dog,a Husky / Border Collie cross, that I also fell in love with. I really
wanted this dog to work out, but he did not want to be a guide dog.  He
would sit down  and refuse to move when he felt he had had enough. I tried
for months to get this dog to work. He came to me with advanced obedience
training and some Search and Rescue training. I thought for sure this was
the right dog for the job. Unfortunately, the dog had other ideas. It was
extremely hard for me to place this dog, but I had no choice as I could not
afford to keep another pet dog and still needed to find a dog that I could
work with. My trainer, who trains Search and Rescue dogs was able to find a
woman who was looking for a dog to replace her retired S&R dog. My trainer
is working with her and Chalk and he seems to like S&R training. I don't
know why he did not want to do guide work. Chalk was a wonderful dog except
for that. At least he is happy and his new owner is happy with him. I still
miss him, but I did find Shaman , who does want to be a guide and is working
through his training and learning fast. I hope your next dog guide will work
out better for you. I will keep you in my prayers.    Have a better day,
Mardi and  Nala,semi-retired, and Shaman,gdit