[nagdu] Access denied- in the news

Angie Matney leadinglabbie at mpmail.net
Sat Feb 28 17:12:57 UTC 2009

Hi Marion,

Actually, here's the Virginia statute. I would argue that denying access is interfering with the dog's duties. I don't know that I'd win such an argument, but it's the one I'd make. This, as you see, is punishable as a class 3 misdemeanor.

§ 3.2-6588. Intentional interference with a guide or leader dog; penalty

A. It is unlawful for a person to, without just cause, willfully impede or interfere with the duties performed by a dog if the person knows or has reason
to believe the dog is a guide or leader dog. A violation of this subsection is a Class 3 misdemeanor.

B. It is unlawful for a person to, without just cause, willfully injure a dog if the person knows or has reason to believe the dog is a guide or leader
dog. A violation of this subsection is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

"Guide or leader dog" means a dog that: (i) serves as a dog guide for a blind person as defined in § 51.5-60 or for a person with a visual disability; (ii) serves as a listener for a deaf or hard-of-hearing person as defined in § 51.5-111; or (iii)
provides support or assistance for a physically disabled or handicapped person.