[nagdu] Fw: Article on Non-Canine Service Animals and Changes to ADA

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jan 3 09:37:21 UTC 2009

The Story is Online!Hi, Everyone,

I just got home from a few days' visit to my folks in New Jersey and found a message in my in-box that I thought might be of interest to list members:

An article about non-canine service animals and the proposed changes to the definition of service animals in the ADA written by a freelance writer, Rebecca Skloot, will appear this Sunday in the New York Times Magazine.  I received the information below from the author, and thought members of these lists might be interested in the story.  The story is available on the NY Times website (link below) as well as in the print NY Times Magazine on Sunday, January 4, 2009.  Rebecca was also interviewed for the NPR show, Day-to-Day, and the link to the audio interview is also given below.

I had no difficulty accessing the stories using the links given by Rebecca below, and hope you all have the same success.  I think the author did a pretty good job of defining the issues surrounding the subject and of describing how non-canine service animals are currently being used by people with various disabilities.

Enjoy,
Ann