[nagdu] PETA opposes the use of guide dogs

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Mon Jan 12 02:12:23 UTC 2009

Below are my comments:
Ms. Nachminovitch,

Your comments on the Los Angeles Times blog L.A. Unleashed is full of myths
and misconceptions.  It is unfortunate that you have such views, and I am
curious how such ideas have been created for you to promulgate such myths.
I am hoping that individuals who read this blog do not buy into these
untruths.  I find you comments very offensive; however, ignorance and lack
of experience of certain situations can cause one to promulgate such
atrocities.

I  have not only been a puppyraiser I am also a guide dog user.  My first
guide is 12 years old, and he will be with me until he expires.  He lives
with two other dogs, and when he was working he had many hours in the day in
which to play and relax.  One of his playmates belong to my husband, and she
is a guide dog as well.  She will be 12 years old in a few months and will
also be with us until her life has ended.  Some individuals may not be as
fortunate as us by being able to keep their retired dogs, but these
individuals do not need to be bashed when they are giving up a guide that
they have loved for many years.

I invite you to visit guide dog users and guide dog schools from across this
nation.  We will meet in Detroit in July.  Please go to www.nfb.org and find
details regarding our national convention.  You will learn so much about
guide dog schools, the dogs, and the users.  Most of all, you will learn the
immense capabilities of the blind regardless of the mobility tools they
choose.

Sincerely,
Merry Schoch