[nagdu] Pooper Scooper Laws

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Wed Jan 14 17:24:23 UTC 2009

Hi All,
I talked to someone in the City Disability coordinator's office and they
said that they didn't deal with this kind of issue and to talk to a seargent
at the police department.  I told them that I had already done this and I'll
find something else to do.  The person in my City councilmember's office
didn't have much else to offer either.  these people all mean well but they
know so little about blindness or disability issues.  It is totally outside
their radar screen - totally no clue whatsoever.

I think I'm going to contact Turko Files after all.  He does have a track
record of helping people with disabilities, including blindness issues.

Cari, if you were here and left the bag of dog crap in the bag outside the
store, the police would would probably try to bust you for that! (grin!).  I
think we are exempt here in San Diego County because of this very problem of
not always finding a trash can.  All the guide dog users here do pick up and
throw it in a trash can as a matter of course even though we are technically
exempt.  It's the times when we can't find that trash can is when we really
need that exemption.

The biggest problem we have around our blind center is other people letting
their pet dogs poop in our dog relief area and they leave it there -
unbagged - and an ususpecting blind person comes along to relieve their
guide dog and they step in crap and track it into the center.  Hmmmm,
where's the cops for that??  These pet owners are violating the leash laws
as well as the pooper scooper law.  They come up from the canyon with their
loose dog, the dog smells the relief area and then does what dogs do
naturally - leave their calling card for our dogs to read.

I do want to publicize this because the cop didn't know the law as far as
our exemption goes.  He failed to identify himself to me, and he refused to
assist me to comply with the law because of my disability.  And he was a
jerk to expect me to become sighted to find the trash can on my own.  Well,
if I had that option, I certainly would have taken it.  I want people to
know how insensitive the cops are and how clueless about blindness they are.
That isn't right and it should be corrected.

I'll keep you all imformed as to what happens.

Linda and Landon