[nagdu] keeping dogs warm

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at charter.net
Thu Jan 15 13:45:27 UTC 2009

Hi Cheryl!

Even though I live in Texas, we are having our share of colder than normal
temperatures this year. I went to PetsMart and bought Gabe a light-weight
water proof jacket with fleece on the inside. I also have booties for him
that I got while in training at Seeing Eye last summer., although he hasn't
needed the boots here yet because we don't have ice and snow.
But he will need them in the summers to deal with our hot pavement.
Back to the jacket, it fastens much like the harness with velcro straps
fitting behind Gabe's front legs and then around his tummy.

I did not get a jacket for my first dog Bates, as he was a Golden retriever
with thick fur,  and didin't seem to be bothered by the cold. but Gabe is a
lab Golden cross,and his fur is thinner. I noticed him shivering one day
while waiting at the bus stop,and I got the jacket for him.

Hope this helps.

Liz and Gabe