[nagdu] The Response I received from PETA

Charlene Ota caota at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jan 16 17:39:35 UTC 2009

This is interesting because I've always found that my guide dog is far more
trustworthy than much of the human assistance I've received.  I've had
people who aren't paying attention walk me sideways off of steps and if it
wasn't for my cane, well, you can figure out the rest.

Also, just like it's good for most of us to have a job to go to everyday,
even though there are days we might not want to or like it or we might feel
like rebelling, it's good for our constitution so to speak to have the work.
I personally had a dog that I'm quite certain was like that, it's a good
thing he had a job to do or he'd have probably gotten into plenty of
trouble. And, like us humans, there were those days he grumbled and resisted
for a bit but once he got over his attitude he was very glad he had
something to do to fill his time. Work isn't necessarily a negative thing
and from this article it seems that they feel work is negative.  Work
doesn't have to be negative. Most guide dogs are smart, healthy, energetic
dogs and work is a good thing.  Granted, it's our responsibility as owners,
to do our best to make work a good thing for them and we should be mindful
of their needs and their well-being and reward them well for all that they
do for us.

Anyway, it was an interesting response.

Charlene