[nagdu] Emergency plane evacuation

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Jan 16 18:54:23 UTC 2009

Listening to news reports of yesterday's emergency plane evacuation in the
Hudson River, I was wondering how such things work with a guide dog.  The
news said people were holding onto the plane's wing, and some got soaking
wet.  I was wondering how I would have done it with Ben.
The plane talks always mention a slide.  I've wondered about that, too.
I know, some years back, some Federationists did a mock plane evacuation
to demonstrate that blind people could do it as efficiently as sighted
people.  I'm sure I could do it too.  I'd just like to have some idea,
beforehand if possible, what it's like so I could figure out a good way to
work it with Ben.
Anyone have any more experience with it than I do?
I wonder if it might be useful to arrange a mock evacuation, with guide
dogs, maybe during convention or something?  I know Margo and Julie P have
been doing a lot of work in New York, figuring out how emergency workers
could work with guide dog users during a chemical contamination emergency.
Tracy