[nagdu] dogs and dignity

Angie Matney leadinglabbie at mpmail.net
Fri Jan 16 20:14:45 UTC 2009

This is certainly an interesting thread.

Michael, I think you make some really good points. The source of dignity should be our own selfconfidence, and for many of us, this is true. But lots of people would agree with the schools that their dogs do provide dignity. And if the dog helps
someone develop that selfconfidence which in turn makes the person feel more dignified, then hasn't the dog actually provided dignity to that person? Even if the person recognizes that the dog was simply a gateway to that selfconfidence,
the fact is that for this individual, acquiring a dog resulted in "dignity" that the person didn't have before.

I don't think I'm articulating my point as clearly as I might. I really do disapprove of fundraising tactics that imply that without our dogs, we would be helpless and incapable of leading fulfilling lives. But the truth, whether or not we want to accept
it, is that many guide-dog users feel this way.