[nagdu] Fw: your article concerning guide dogs

Chasity Jackson chasityvanda at charter.net
Fri Jan 16 21:23:10 UTC 2009

I got the exact same response.
----- Original Message -----
From: Heidi Jury Parker
To: Chasity Jackson
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 2:04 PM
Subject: RE: your article concerning guide dogs

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail. Please allow me to respond on behalf of Ms. Nachminovitch.

We appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us about Ms. Nachminovitch's comments on the Los Angeles Times "Unleashed" blog and apologize sincerely for any offense this interview may have caused.

What we wished to communicate in this interview was that dogs, guide dogs or not, are affectionate animals who crave contact, play, and love from their human families, and we encourage their guardians to give it to them and make the best choices they can when considering bringing an animal into their home.

To clarify, we do not campaign against using guide dogs, but we do answer honestly when asked our stance on them. We encourage alternatives to using animals, and feel that human assistance programs are more appropriate than trained animals for helping people who have disabilities. Please know that we hold no animosity toward people who opt to work with assistance dogs. We know that most people who make this choice genuinely love their dogs and give them only the best care.

As an animal rights group, however, we cannot remain silent when there is even the smallest chance for an animal to suffer-to do so would be a betrayal of our members and a disservice to the animals we strive to protect.

Thank you again for your letter and for the opportunity to address your concerns. We appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,

Heidi Parker
Mail Coordinator
The PETA Foundation