[nagdu] Clicker training, hot weather

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Tue Jan 20 11:41:24 UTC 2009

Hi guys.

Dan Weiner with His Royal Goofiness, Carter Dog, and retired Evan here.

I hope everyone is doing well.
I've heard people mention clicker training a lot lately and even read that
some guide dog schools are using it.
I'm curious if anyone has experience with using clicker training with their
guide dogs and how it works.
This is just a question out of sheer curiosity.

On another subject, we've been talking about cold weather but I'm wondering,
Marion and all, what you do with the hot humid weather we have, for example,
here in Florida.
Carter loves the cool and even cold weather when we've been in it but is
very sensitive to the heat.
My policy generally with my dogs has been if it's too hot for me, which it
is for several months a year here in Florida--grin--then it's too hot for
him.
This makes life very inconvenient from March to October--grin.
So, I find myself scheduling everything so I'm not walking long distances in
the heat of midday.
The Florida winter, such as it is, is my favorite time of year since I've
been using a dog--grin--low these last fifteen years as I do any type of
outdoor activity any time of day and my dogs and I aren't bunt to a
crisp--grin.

Honestly, when I lived in Ohio for college, the winter didn't bother Evan,
my active guide at the time.  The only thing I avoided was sitting outside
for long stretches when it was getting down below 10 as it seemed that both
dog and human would start getting cold due to sitting and not moving--grin

Anyway, thoughts on both the clicker and the heat would be welcome.

Best wishes,

Dan W. and the wild hounds