[nagdu] Questions about Federal regs regarding paratransit

Craig Borne cjborne at comcast.net
Thu Jan 22 06:45:13 UTC 2009

You can file a complaint directly with the Federal Transit Administration
(FTA), which is the primary funder of transit grant monies.  The link is:
http://www.fta.dot.gov/civilrights/ada/civil_rights_3889.html

I do not believe that you are required under the regulations to state
whether or not you are bringing your guide dog on the ride, especially if it
is noted in the computer.  Of course, the regs probably will not specify how
a transit company maintains its database, but like any other Title II of the
ADA covered entity, you do not need to call ahead to a State DMV or
Department of Health and announce that you are being accompanied by your
guide dog.  This does not fly with buses, so why should it fly with
paratransit, which is a complimentary service?

As for HIPA, discussing the fact that you are blind over the radio probably
wouldn't rise to the level of a HIPA violation because you have already
disclosed to the provider that you are blind, which is how you became
paratransit eligible in the first place.  Now, if they were to disclose
information in your medical documentation used to gain eligibility and that
was not readily apparent, then you may have a claim.

Craig Borne, Esq.
Baltimore, Maryland
"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial
appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in
defense of custom."  --Thomas Paine, Common Sense