[nagdu] hi

Ron Davidson fuzzy_1 at cox.net
Sat Jan 24 16:10:19 UTC 2009

Hello Kizzy and welcome. I received my dog from Guiding Eyes For The Blind
in NY. I did like Julie said do research and decide which you feel is best
for you. We have a guide do school here in Kansas but I preferred to train
in a much bigger city and that is one reason I went where I did. I know of
three videos available from them for education purposes. When I do my public
speaking I start with the history of guide dogs and then go into the
selection and puppy raising  and the final training before being selected
for the student. Then I go into the student field interview process and then
the training at the school and on into the training you do when you first
return home. I then usually finish up with some demonstrations on what he
does. At the end we have question and answer time which you never seem to
have enough time for all of them. My final thing I also do is to tell them
that I don't consider myself disabled I just do things different than other
people. Then I show them an example of my work as a professional woodcarver.
This I think helps reinforce to them that a blind person can do what ever
they want and your not handicapped unless you want to be. I know that I went
over board with my answer but I did. But I hope this helps you out.